Negative emotions, pain, fears, emotional insecurity are all part of a stressful modern life. And learning to deal with these feelings can demand a special effort on our part. Emotional Freedom Technique (EFT) has proven to be a useful and effective tool for self help and improvement of many aspects of our emotional health.
EFT is energy psychology in practice as it makes use of the same meridian system and important acupoints used in chinese medicine. The technique involves the tips of fingers for repeated tapping on specific points. These 10-14 points correspond to energy meridians, and the purpose of EFT is to clear disturbances in the energy fields which can cause all kinds of detrimental emotions.
The technique was developed in the early 1990's by Gary Craig, a brilliant psychotherapist involved in neuro-linguistic programming. He based his findings and developed further on the works of Dr. George Goodheart, inventor of Applied Kinesiology (1964), Dr. John Diamond, creator of The Acupuncture Emotional System (1970's) and of psychologist Roger Callahan, the father of Thought Field Therapy (1981).
The Emotional Freedom Technique can be used anytime we want to clear off any negative emotion which might be in the way of our pursuit of holistic health and happiness. It is very easy to learn and apply, so here we present fully working, ready to use basic steps into this exciting method.
The EFT Basic Recipe
EFT is like any recipe we use in our kitchen. It has several ingredients and a specific order of performance. The four main ingredients are: Setup, First Sequence, Gammut and Second Sequence.
- The Setup sets the energy system on and it consists of two parts. First you choose a neutralizing affirmation related to your emotion.
- Example: “Even though I have this ___________, I completely love and accept myself.” The blank is where you fill the problem you are trying to address. It could be fear of public places, anger towards a friend, craving for alcohol, etc. This is called the "reminder phrase".
- Second, you simply repeat the affirmation, with emphasis, 3 times while continuously rubbing the Sore Spot or tapping the Karate Chop point.
- The Sequence is very simple in concept. It involves tapping on the end points of the major energy meridians.
- Tapping tips: You can tap with either hand or your dominant hand or both when possible, and tap with the fingertips of your index finger and middle finger. Do it solidly but never too hard, at least 7 times, as you say the "reminder phrase" once on each point in the following order:
- Top of head, Inner beginning of eyebrow, Outer side of eye, under eye, Under nose, Chin, Collar bone, and Under the arm.
- Tapping an extra point on the inner wrist or right under the nipple is sometimes used alternatively to finish the sequence.
- Eyes closed
- Eyes open
- Eyes hard down right while holding the head steady
- Eyes hard down left while holding the head steady
- Roll eyes in a circle as though your nose was at the center of a clock and you were trying to see all the numbers in order
- Same as #5 only reverse the direction in which you roll your eyes
- Hum four seconds of a song
- Count rapidly from one to five
- Hum four seconds of a song again
How to Do EFT Tapping Therapy - EFT Basic Recipe Tutorial
Other articles in this series
- Emotional health
- Mental health
- How to do EFT Tapping Therapy; EFT-Alive.
- EFT Tapping Technique; Learning Inside-Out.
- EFT Tapping Charts; Gwenn Bonnell.
Useful Web Links
- Nutrition (8)
- Fitness (5)
- Health (5)
- Natural (4)