There are many ways and different approaches out there to help you quit smoking. The problem with many of them is that they are based on outdated perceptions which generalize tobacco use as one big monster equally harmful no matter what. Others universalize the individual needs and come up with a specific system that in practice does not work as intended with everybody.
The Spanimax Quit Smoking Method is based on modern scientific results and an open realistic approach. It's composed of both a few fixed rules and variable dynamic steps which have been proven to be the most effective for permanent smoking cessation.
One things is very important though, and it is the advice to wait to quit until you are fully ready for it. In the mean time, while you prepare your mind and your body for this difficult task, you can continue getting your fix of nicotine as usual. Nicotine reduction is not the best way to go for everybody. Some people experience that they just prolong the suffering, by creating short withdrawals from nicotine, thus creating a strong artificial longing for it. For others, is the right thing to do, and it works fine.
If smoking were food, and you decided to eat less calories than your body needs for survival the consequences would be obvious, you can just imagine them. Well, nicotine for the smoker is as important as food is for everybody else.
All human beings are different, and what works for some does not work for others. This is because of individual nicotine needs and triggering factor receptiveness.
Quitting smoking permanently can be a long process. So it is very important that you follow the necessary steps to achieve it once and for all.
The purpose of this method is not to try quitting all the time. It is to bring you to a state of mind where you take total control of the cravings of your body and your brain, and can become the master of your addiction.
The four questions: Why do I want to quit, what will I do to quit, how will I accomplish it and when is the best time to do it, constitute the core of awareness of The Spanimax Quit Smoking Method.
Each of these questions must be answered before you even try to quit. So lets begin!
- Understanding why you smoke, and the possibility you have to find a way out of this damaging habit will create the means to make it a reality in your life. You must imagine all those situations where you feel smoking is pleasurable to you, and then change and create a distinct picture. Featuring yourself as a non-smoker in those very same situations and all other situations in life. Make of this exercise a habit.
- The next thing to do is to start writing down your very own reasons to quit in a letter to yourself or a journal, which you keep handy at all times and read aloud several times a day. Reasons to quit are important, and reminding yourself of those reasons will strenghten your purpose.
- Examples of reasons to quit can be: better health (obviously), saving money, independence from an enslaving habit, your appearance, fertility, fitness.
- Be specific when writing your list of reasons. Make it very personal, knowing that you don't have to show it to anybody, if you don't feel like it. Specific points go like this:
- I will set an example for people around me by not smoking.
- My lungs will start feeling great again. So I will start working out more.
- I will have extra money I can spend in clothes and healthy food.
- More exercise and healthier eating habits are the first steps you should take to inspire you to quit. These are the first two alternatives you have, and alternatives are an essential part of the process since they reign at the top of the things you must do to quit smoking.
- Start substituting, right away, the need to smoke with other chores and new activities where you can spend a great deal of your usual smoking time. And be careful to choose activities you can't possibly do naturally while smoking.
- Meditation both while thinking of your reasons and planning what to do to quit are useful because of its stress on proper deep breathing. Every time you breathe you remember how important your lungs are, and how deteriorated they become by smoking cigarretes. Google for Meditation methods, to learn how to meditate.
- If you’ve tried to quit before, remember the things that worked for you then and the things that did not. All this will give you some ideas when making your specific plan.
- Your strategy or skill of planning to deal with your smoking dependence has to be very personal too. You must know yourself well enough to understand the reasons why you smoke and haven't been able to quit for good, and the necessary steps that will work in your particular case. Understanding yourself by taking an honest analysis of your strengths and weaknesses will give you the necessary enlightment to plan your strategy.
- Engage others as social support for your endevours. Tell people around what you are planning to do, about your wish to quit smoking, so they take an interest in your case. This will be a constant reminder of your purpose.
- Social avoidance does not work all the time. The theory that avoiding triggering factors helps, has some truth in it, but you won't get stronger by it. What is important is that you can become strong enough to avoid smoking no matter the situation.
- Stress management is crucial, because stress in itself is one important trigger which make people light up a cigarrete even when nicotine levels in the body are high enough. Learning to manage stress will eliminate even one more reason to smoke.
- Decide in advance wether you will be using alternative nicotine products or just quit smoking cold turkey. There is a difference between the habit of smoking and nicotine addiction. If you can kick the habit but can't do without the nicotine, you should find alternative smokeless tobacco (snus) or other nicotine products in the form of medicinal nicotine (gum, patches).
- Either choose a day in advance while you are feeling ready to quit, or just decide one specific morning to stop smoking. When choosing a day in advance you can either mark it up on your calendar as a special day, or just let it be floating in the air. You should decide a date that fits you well without feeling any pressure except what your feelings of readiness to quit suggest.
- When the day comes, be kind to yourself, take your time and hold on. You've been preparing mentally for this, and all of your body is ready to take the challenge. Use mindfulness one minute at a time, avoiding all futurizing and live the present moment as a non-smoker.
- If you quit without nicotine replacement products, remember that cravings are normal and expected and last only a few minutes. As time passes your cravings will be less intense, shorter and happen less often. You may like to think of cravings as 'time limited desires'.
- Smokefree; The UK National Health Service.
- Quit Smoking Today; Smokefree.gov
- Quit smoking: Proven strategies to help you quit; Mayo Clinic staff
- Every cigarette you don’t smoke is doing you good; Australian Government Department of Health and Ageing.
- Smokeless Nicotine Products Could Reduce The Colossal Health Burden Of Smoking; Medical News Today.
- A Smokeless Alternative To Quitting; Dr. Sally Satel.
- Quitting Smoking is not the First Thing You Should Do; Stop Smoking Reviews.
- Motivation, education and support for Cold Turkey Nicotine Cessation; WhyQuit.com
Useful Web Links
- Nutrition (8)
- Fitness (5)
- Health (5)
- Natural (4)